Thursday, February 2, 2012

Readership and a Review

I need to make this relatively quick, because work is really busy and I thought about this at home last night, but I didn't do it. Which means I will not be proof reading. Jenna will do that, make fun of me, then I will go back and fix things in shame.

Sadly it will look like teenage Clooney
... but with graey hair.
I started this blog as my public display of the motivation I started to feel after turning 29. I'm not sure if motivation is the right word, but it's either that or intense fear and self loathing for getting old and grey and becoming worthless. I'll stick with motivation. (and that mini rant isn't true, I'm not scared of any of those things and I'm way too unreasonably confident and self satisfying to be self loathing, plus as soon as I go gray (I used both spellings) I'm going to look just like Clooney.

But anyways, I write the blog as a way to keep me in check and potentially, albeit briefly, entertain myself and the few friends I know who routinely read the things I write.

More often than not I know people simply "skim" the blog because they don't care about me or our friendship at all *cough cough* Lrian Boughner and Lim Joughner (no relation).

Then, out of nowhere, I get comments from people who like the blog or read the blog or had the blog forced upon them by facebook telling them it was available to read because I told facebook to tell all the people I know.

Facebook really does bring the world together and forces us to read or look at things we typically would have no interest in. Totally worth $100 billion, I mean did you see that Kristen Bell sloth thing, how funny was that. Oh Ellen!

Okay, so yes I put it out there. I'm confident enough in my opinions, views, and ramblings that I don't mind who reads what I write. I'll happily discuss my ramblings with anyone (please talk to me!) and I think they are ridiculous enough that if anyone is offended and they continue reading they will find a sentence or phrase within seconds that is so stupid they'll say, "oh this guy isn't a jerk, he's just an idiot."

Idiots get away with everything, just look at the Republican primaries.... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHh political burn!

So the point of this already pointless blog. Last weeks "Parson Brown" post was, in the history of all the world's blogging, the second most controversial blog every published. The first being the classic KickJames post about Casey at the Bat, found below:

The Chronicles of Kick James: No Kickball In Mudville: Hubris, Unhealthy Expectations, or the Ball is Too Small:       A Scientific Analysis of Ernest Thayer's Casey at the Bat . 

Some people, some very dedicated readers absolutely hated both No Kickball In Mudville and Parson Brown. The funny thing about this, is when I typically write a blog post I either black out and don't remember doing it, or I anguish over how stupid I think it is and think everyone is going to hate it. I have literally only looked at three blogs upon completion, smiled, nodded my head and said, "Good job Tom Chew. Gold. Solid Gold!"

Bet you can't guess what two of the three are? Oh, you can? Yeah I guess that makes sense, since I'm talking about them right now.

I thought this picture was going to be a part of a
funny adult blow up pool mishap, but that's just
Jacob...
                                                                 getting baptized.
Back to it. God this was supposed to be quick. Superbowl, huh?

Oh yeah, I'm getting into pretty good shape and my brewing has increased. When I say my I really mean Brian's, but he is kind enough to talk to me about it and he let me pick out the last recipe. He also has kegging equipment now, so we will be in a blow up swimming pool with a fire roaring and mini keg  readily available before we know it. It'll probably be warm enough by March, so that's good.

Seriously, back to it. I try to write so people enjoy it. When I write a contentious blog or something someone just doesn't get or doesn't connect to I feel bad for wasting their time. Contrarily, when I write ridiculous ramblings that lead to nothing, I don't feel bad at all. Hmmm... I'm sure some famous psychologist or another would have something to say about that.

So what I am saying, through all of this, is who are you? I have almost 1000 hits on the blog and I really don't know who even reads it or what you like. Tell me who you are, comment or email me or say it on facebook, I don't care how you do it. But who are you and what would you like to see more of. I will cater to your needs and leave my other opinions and thoughts to the bleeding ears of my poor wife.

I also wanted to say thanks. Thanks for giving me your time and reading. Even if you do just skim, I feel validated. I don't feel loved and I hate you, but at least I feel validated... Let's talk about passive aggression (Just kidding, that's its own blogpost).

So without further adieu, I meant for this blog to be the paragraph about who reads and what you'd like to read about and the following.

Here is probably the best response to any blog I've ever written: and it is in support of Parson Brown. I was surprised at the mixed reviews, because I think everything I do is amazing people were so honest and genuine with their "meh feelings," which I really appreciated. I asked my friend Mike, who I know reads every week what he thought and here is his response. See you this weekend readers.


I spoke (updated my status) without thinking earlier, by saying should I read it twice?, because truthfully I had to read it a few times, and reference the lyrics, wikipedia, and almost a real encyclopedia, to understand it.  

Kudos, it was over my head, partly because I know none of the lyrics and partly because it was so reference rich.  Skip to the point; it was awesome in every way.  

As a literature minor (Babs Epstein always thought legal studies majors were essentially lit minors, as our curriculum requires almost as much lit as it does law) I understand the importance of drawing comparisons from the literal into the symbolic and back again, and making sure to distinguish the times and the cohorts and the individual feelings within the spectrum of populist appeal.  You managed to do this effortlessly and casually while simultaneously utilizing an astute perspective unique to everyone else.  

The great authors wrote what everyone knew but were unconscious of, what everyone felt but could not articulate, and what everyone became to know as common, while revealing a point destined for revolutionary change. Ok, forget the revolutionary change as it regards to your blog about Parson Brown (Xmas lyrics will suck forever I'm sure, despite my addiction to Christmas music between the last week of November and January 1st every year). 

Gold Mike, pure gold!

5 comments:

  1. Thomas...ballsy to call me out on not reading your blogs....I like it...

    I told you my New Years Resolution was to read your blogs and I've kept to it, minus that Parson Brown Ridiculousness (hereafter mentioned as PBR) Sorry buddy...

    Anyways. Just wanted to you know that I still read it (except for the PBR) and wouldn't want to give you feedback (minus the PBR) that would alter what you write (besides the PBR) because I love it so much (not including the PBR).

    So that being said, I'll see you on Saturday afternoon where I'll ask you for some PBR.

    Love,

    Lim Joughner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Shelley yesterday that when I'm long gone Parson Brown and No Kickball in Mudville will be taught and reviewed in Online College English classes. The stuff of legend!

      Thanks for sticking with me Jim.

      Delete
  2. LOL That's the same 'Tommy' I have always known :D you never were afraid to speak your mind cus. Guess I am going to have to bookmark your blog so I can find it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom!

    I read all your posts (well, that Parson Brown one was hard to get through.. I read half of it) and I read them cuz I like hearing about what's going on in your life and what your thoughts and interests and opinions are and about the outside-of-Newbury you! and mostly because they make me smile.

    Really been enjoying your blog :)

    Alice

    ReplyDelete